Does your smile make you alert in front of others? No matters how your teeth are flawlessly rooted-out on your gums, its alignment, position or the shape, all are perfect. But then again why you become so self-conscious about your smile? May be discolored teeth is what stops you to smile openly.
Reasons for Teeth Discoloration
There are many day-to-day activities which can lead to discoloration of teeth and the most frequent reasons of discoloration and staining are food and beverages. Others can be the use of tobacco which leaves stain on your teeth and turn the most perfect and bright smile into grimy and yellow. There are several reasons why teeth may darken. These include:
- Food/Drinks. Some food/drink items cause the discoloration for example, coffee, tea, colas, wines, dark fruit juices.
- Poor Dental Hygiene. Insufficient brushing and flossing can cause tooth discoloration.
- Smoking. Use of tobacco can stain teeth.
- Genetics. It is sometimes received from the genes as well. Some people have naturally brighter or thicker enamel than others.
- Environment. Excessive use of some environment sources can cause teeth discoloration. For example: fluoride applications, mouthwash, toothpaste and in-take of fluoride supplement.
How to Prevent Discolored Teeth?
There is a very simple approach to prevent your teeth from discoloration. Try to adopt simple life style, as if you are a coffee drinker and/or smoker, try to reduce it to the lowest or quit it altogether. Also, it is important to maintain your dental hygiene by brushing and flossing regularly and if possible see your dental hygienist at least twice in a year.
If your are experiencing unusual color of your teeth which stays for longer period of time despite of having proper oral hygiene then you should see the dentist at your earliest.
Teeth discoloration can be treated in many ways but it depends on the cause of the discoloration. Some options are:
- Appropriate tooth brushing and flossing techniques
- Avoidance of the foods/drinks that cause stains
- Contouring and reshaping
Which Dental Treatment I should go for?
Most of the readers might be thinking for the best option for teeth whitening. The best answer for this question is available to your dentist who has got the ability to improve your smile. The condition of your teeth and desired result you want often dictates the quality treatment. You may ask your dentist a few questions before deciding for a particular treatment.
- What will the changes look like?
- What should I expect through the course of treatment?
- What type of maintenance will be required?
What should I look for in a Cosmetic Dentist?
In order to make sure your dentist is skilled in cosmetic dentistry, you should ask your dentist for the following items before undergoing treatment:
- Before and after photos of other patients being treated by the dentists
- References let you assure that the quality of care the dentist provides
Looking for a dentist in Sherwood Park? Aspira Dental guarantees the best teeth whitening service in Sherwood Park and promises you to bring back the bright smile. We love to see you Smile!